Sunday, August 12, 2007

Very Taxing Tax-Free Weekend

It was tax-free weekend in Massachusetts. Any single item with a price tag of less than 2,500 dollars could be purchased without tax.

The Apple Store closed down Friday at 9:30 PM, and then re-opened at midnight and stayed open until midnight on Saturday. All employees were required to put in a 12 hour shift sometime during that 24 hour period. We were all also required to put in 10 hour shift on Sunday.

On Saturday, I worked 11-11 and today, Sunday, I worked from 12 (noon)- 10 PM.

I have to tell you that I am exhuasted. My feet are killing me. My eyes are glazed over. I am dreaming about computers, student rebates, tax-free register overrides, and rebated printers.

It is amazing what people will do to save 5%. There were swarms of people all day and night in the store. The managers, however, had a few great procedures in place to eliminate chaos. For the most part, it worked out great.

I sailed through my Saturday 12 hour shift without incident. Today's 10 hour shift was pretty easy, too, until around 8PM. All of a sudden, I just "hit the wall." I heard myself talking to customers about RAM, hard drives, applications, etc., but it was like listening to somebody else talking. I felt like I was outside of my body. For real. My voice almost seemed to be taking on an echo-like quality. I couldn't believe that I was spouting all of these numbers, prices, and technical specs without even batting an eyelash, or referring to the spec sheets. I must have learned through osmosis and not even realized that it was happening.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that I became so completely exhausted that I was beginning to practically slur my words and completely overlooking the most obvious of crap in my transactions.

I even had a dream last night about the Mac Book Pro.

I feel like I did nothing but work at Apple this weekend. Honestly.

But, on the bright side, all of us were given the new iLife 08 suite (retail value of 80 dollars) and the new iWork 08 suite (retail value of 100 dollars) for FREE!!!

Yeah!

2 comments:

Mo said...

It's amazing what a drain retail can be! My busy time is now...only to get worse until mid September. I'm running on fumes as it is so Lord only knows where I'll go from here!

Hang in there...at the very least you got those nice freebies!!! Though we definitely missed you this weekend!!

Juanita said...

Does it scare you at all that many nurses (including me...in the distant past) work 12 hours on/12 hours off for three days in a row, take a one-day break and do it again for three days?

My kids started back to school today, (August 15) with the temp at 103 degrees. Thankfully you Bostonians are a little more sensible about your school year!