Monday, September 17, 2007

Awesome Stuff

So, I don't have much to write about at this point. I'm at my friend's place, catsitting, and you know how it is when you're not in your own place. You don't really feel totally comfortable to go off and do your own thing, and your own stuff isn't there, so you just kind of kill time doing stupid stuff like watching TV and reading.

How was that last sentence? Yes...I am an English teacher!!

Whatever.

Anyway, I thought I'd take to the laptop to write about some pretty cool freakin' things I've run into or encountered recently.

First of all, I'm sitting here having a nice glass of cold Chilean sauvignon blanc. I thought I had discovered my true wine love with sauv. blancs from Australia/New Zealand, but then I stumbled (probably literally)upon one from Chile. I was and am hooked. The Chilean sauvignon blancs are possessed of almost an exaggerated degree ofo the qualities that I like about the wine. First of all, sauv blancs are generally quite dry. The Chilean ones are extremely dry. In general, the sauv. blancs have a nice, crisp, acidic-citrus finish. The Chilean ones I've tried are almost a bit harsh in their crispness and citrus flavor. I LOVE it! If you're a savu. blank fan, try one from Chile. You won't be disappointed. If you're not a sauv. blanc fan, I'd suggest you try it anyway to broaden your horizones. Hey, you never know when an unexpected hooch will strike your fancy and make you forever a believer.

Another awesome thing I've welcomed into my life of late is the freakin' "Smartboard" I have in my classroom at school. Have you people seen these things??? My god, it is incredible. It bears an initial physical resemblence to a white board. But, my friends, the physical resemblence is where the similarity ends. The smartboard is a totally interactive educational tool. I can't even get into everything it does, but all I have to say is that it has revolutinized my teaching entirely. I can't imagine ever going to a white/chalkboard ever again.

I'm also chuffed to no end that there are weekly housecleaners that come to the place I'm staying in. Granted, I've been tidying up after myself, but last night, after dinner, when I didn't feel like putting away the dishes I had washed, I knew that I would come home today to find them all snugly nestled in their appropriate cabinets. Wonderful.

I am really happy to be teaching English instead of social studies because I actually have books and curriculum materials for the first time in years! I feel bad for the social studies teacher, but screw that crap. I love having stuff to actually give the kids to learn! This is like a luxury.

I am really pleased about a lot of the kids I have. Sure, I have the convicted armed robber, but still...there are a lot of great kids, including a 7th grader whose idea of pure pleasure of avidly reading anything that is tossed her way. She has already torn through half of my classroom library (because she already tore through her 7th grade homeroom teacher's library) even after only 7 full days of school.

I love having an 8th grade homeroom. Even though the kids are by in large the same ones that I had as a 7th grade homeroom teacher, they are so much more mature and homeroom time is less of an exercise in crowd control and more of a pleasant, clam experience.

I love that I was able to pick up some GREAT books for my abovementioned classroom library at the Curious George store in Harvard Square. Everybody thinks they have stuff just for the little guys, but they have a fantastic young adult reader section downstairs, and the staff are most helpful and knowledgeable about the material.

I had a great time cruising around Old Navy, taking advantage of some pretty serious sales this weekend. And, praise the lord, even though they did away with their mid-rise boot cut jeans, they unleashed the new style "sweetheart" which is essentially the same fit. And I am even more enamored of the fact that they were on sale this weekend for 20 dollars! Hells yeah!!

I'm psyched that I'm two credits away from a payraise in school and that I was asked to join the school council, which is a totally brainless activity, and will give me the last two credits! For Free!!

For now, that's all the good news I can think of.

If there are any more delightful moments, I'll letcha know.

Hey, while we're on the subject, what's good in your life?

2 comments:

Juanita said...

What's good in my life? More than I could have hoped for, thanks for asking. And I'm heading to Old Navy to see if anything's on sale. Thanks for the tip. I'm glad you have some cool kids this year. Did you ever check out "March" by Geraldine Brooks? Or "The Book Thief." I think you'd enjoy.

Laurita said...

I picked up a bottle of Chilean wine...all because of you.