Monday, January 19, 2009



I was just checking out the gym schedule. I have today off and I have to get to the gym. I went to a really early spinning class yesterday and the proceeded to sit around on my sofa the entire day. (That's not entirely true. For a couple of hours I was lying on my sofa, not sitting.)

As a result of this inactivity, my back is killing me. Maybe it sounds strange, but my back hurts more when I am totally sedentary than it does when I'm up and moving around.

So, normally I go to the gym at 5:30 on Monday nights, but if I have the day off (as is the case today) I try to get my workout in earlier. I checked the schedule at all three gyms, and the one that looks most promising is the "Forza" class in Back Bay. Forza is apparently some kind of Japanese samaurai (spelling?) sword workout. I have seen the baskets of wooden sword thingees sitting there a million times and never quite knew what they were for. Well..I guess I'm about to find out.

If I can still move after the class (because I think it might be pretty freakin' hard), I'll let you know how things worked out.

In other news, I am SICK AS HELL OF SNOW. It has been falling non stop in Boston for the entire month of January. Actually, it started back in September. There have been a couple of mild days where the snow on the ground would finally melt away. This would occur, of course, just in time for the next deep freeze and snow storm to move in and take up long term residence. There is snow on the ground that I'm convinced is going to stay there until April. Actually, since April has turned to full-on winter here in New England, it might just sit there until May.

What the hell?

It is really hard to sit here in this arctic freeze and contemplate the concept of global warming. I'm not a denier at all. I'm just saying that it's hard to sit here watching Noah Wylie cry about the polar bears losing their natural habitat in the north pole. Hell....just send 'em down to Boston. They'll be fine.

2 comments:

Laurita said...

I hear you about the back...it IS better when you move around.

I'm not seeing much in the way of global warming either. But the thing I do notice is that it's getting harder for the weather people to predict the temps. They'll say we're in for a 40 degree day and it'll end up being 60 or 70 degrees. That kind of thing happens more now.

JoviFan said...

Too true about the weather guys. They're always freaking wrong. They predict storms that never materialize and their predicted "snow dustings" turn into foot-deep, day-long storms. Unreal. I wish I had a job where it was completely acceptable to be unapologetically wrong a majority of the time, and where guesswork was rewarded with a six-figure salary. Imagine if we could just skip grading papers and then when report time came we could say that we predict that there's a likelihood that the kid maintained a passing average and that his chances of success in the upcoming school year were slim to none? Then if we were wrong, we'd still be handsomely rewarded salary-wise? That would be cool.
Instead, it looks like yet another day under heaps of student work for me! Yippie.