Sunday, July 29, 2007

What UP?



I just returned from a three-hour in-store training on the Apple iPhone. The thing is cool, no doubt, and there are tons of things I have yet to learn about it, but still, a Sunday evening spent in this meeting was far from my ideal vision of how to tie up a weekend. Granted, I did not have to work at all this weekend, but it sucked having to get to the store at 7:00 PM on a Sunday night. Not getting out of there until 10 PM was even worse.

But I will say that the people I work with at the Apple Store are awesome. They are, as I've said before, all about 12 years old, so when work's over we have nothing in common. But while we're working together on the sales floor, we have a few laughs.

I really have to get my ass in there and fiddle around with those iPhones and figure out how to use them. Customers have so many questions about them. If they are simple questions about how to use features, I can pull the information out of seemingly common-sensical use of the phone. For example, if somebody wants to know how to use Google maps or visual voice mail or something, I can take them to the iPhone bay and encourage them to pick up a demo iPhone while I talk them through the demonstration. Usually I'm peering over their shoulder while they use the phone, navigating them through the application, and hoping that whatever I'm telling them to do will work.

Thank God the thing is pretty user-friendly. But the managers told us today that they fully support people clocking in early or staying late to fiddle around with products and learn how to use them. I think I'll clock in a few hours for that in the upcoming week.





Anyway, I was having some pretty annoying and persistant foot pain, so I went to see my doctor. He sent me to the foot guy who diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis. He gave me a splint thing to wear to bed and demanded that I got out and buy a pair of Dansko clogs, calling them the "gold standard" of footwear.

I love Dansko clogs, so I viewed this as a "medically necessary" shopping spree. Danskos ain't cheap.



These are the shoes I got. They didn't have the traditional clogs in my size, and besides, they looked a little un-summery for the time of year. These ones, pictured above, will be great for the rest of summer and into Fall. Hell, even in winter, they will be fine with socks.

Hey, I'm exhausted. Gotta run.

3 comments:

Mo said...

a) i'm excited to hear more on the iphone...which i won't buy unless i win the megabucks...i hear mostly people have had issue with the fact that it's at&t as the service provider...which i have...and understand.

2) i have/had pf myself...and i started wearing crocs, and while completely ugly...i haven't had an ounce of pain since i started wearing them regularly. if you are interested-i sell them...and get a discount:) ha!

d) i loooove those clogs and think i'll be investing in them for back to school! perfect!!!

Surfwahine said...

I had plantar faciitis and wore a night splint for a long time and it did help. I also got orthotics! I do have dansco clogs and wear birkenstocks too! I know, all too earthy and such but hey, I love to run so whatever it takes!! :)
Looking forward to the wedding pics!

Juanita said...

OK. I think they're cute. I'll admit it.