Friday, November 16, 2007

What do Nants and Barry Bonds Have in Common?

Steriods.

That's what.

On Monday, Veterna's day, I was all happy to have a day off, and was planning on sitting in front of my computer to do some much overdue paperwork

I had my coffee, made some phone calls, and was just settling in to do the abovementioned paperwork.

All of a sudden, as I sat there, engaged in the widely-known-to-be-strenuous activity of reading my computer screen, a pain, the likes of which I'd never felt before, tore through my low back, from right side to left. It felt like somebody had taken a 12" dagger, jammed it into my back, and then just tore across the entire thing.

The pain literally took my breath away.

When I finally did recapture my breath, I think I released some kind of inhuman moan of agony.

And from there, you can guess the rest....

I lowered myself onto my heating pad on the floor (with alternating periods of time on the ice bag), propped my knees up, and called my back doctor.

I did make an appointment for Tuesday. The doctor things I tore my disc again, causing some of the disc fluid to spurt out and irritate (to put it mildly...her words, not mine), my nerves.

And so here I am, on day 5 of the 6 day prednisone treatment. I hate the steriod element of it, but damn, those things work!!

I'm already back at step aerobics (because the steroids are helping my foot too, so why not take advantage?) and lifting weights.

sometimes I wish my docs at the New England Baptist would tell me to relax, keep off my feet, rest. I guess it would just make me fell better about being lazy. But, when I ask them, always hopefully, if I should take it easy, they always look at me like I have five heads and say, "Stop exercising? What for? No...get right back in there."

And so it goes. I love my hospital and the fact that they are literally all about getting people back in motion, but Christ...a few days off never killed anybody, right?

Well...according to them it would.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that I had yet another back episode But, I'm (fingers crossed) back on my hooves!

5 comments:

Juanita said...

Oh, you poor thing. I hope you feel better soon. If I were your personal nurse, you could probably bribe me to advise rest & relaxation. Have you tried bribery yet?

Surfwahine said...

Cool that the steroids helped! Now what do you do about the "spurting fluid"? what is the next step after the meds! Glad to hear you are "Stepping" again ... always makes you feel better!

Laurita said...

My heinous back injury came from tying my shoe.

My only problem with steroids, aside from a continuously ravenous apetite, was the fact that they made me have charlie horses.

Hope you feel better soon.

JoviFan said...

Maybe that's why I'm eating like a horse! Wait...I do that anyway, regardless of what mediation I'm on.

Mo said...

So sorry to hear about your back...I know of your misery! I'm glad something is finally helping you though!! Take care of you:)