Friday, October 19, 2007

I quit. I give up.

Ok, so before I get to the true thrust of this post, let me just say that Red Sox pitcher, Josh Beckett, can BRING IT!!!

Make no mistakes. This is not gloating. This is stating a clear and undisputable fact. The kid is impeccable. At this point, it almost seems as if the entire Red Sox team is resting on this kid's shoulder. But perhaps that's where they should be looking because, as I said, this kid is a sick pitcher!!!!!



OK, onto my real message.

I quit.

I give up.

I have been trying to continue my usual regimin of step aerobics classes in spite of my horrible, hideous, hateful, motherfucking plantar faciitis. However, the time has come for me to admit that I cannot continue any longer.

I have altered my schedule to replace some of my step classes. I've been limiting my step classes and trying to work in alternative workouts. However, this week I've learned that I can no longer even afford to get the occasional step workout.

Last night, I almost wept as I watched my usual Thursday step class get underway, as I walked into the neighboring studio for a spinning class.



I really dislike spinning. The techno music preferred by a majority of the instructors is not to my liking. My ass kills by the end of the hour. And the thought of sitting on a stationary bike and going nowhere drives me nuts. But the workout is good and I can't deny the fact that I sweat my ass of.



On Tuesdays, I've begun to abandon my step class for kickboxing. It is still somewhat taxing on my poor foot, but when the class is over, I still have some limited ability to walk from the studio.

Tonight, I decided to screw it and take a step class. I would not even mind,but it was just a 40 minute step/20 minutes weight class. I survived the step portion of the class, but had to take my leave during the forward lunges portion of the class. I was either placing all my weight in my left heel to lunge into it, or keeping it constant flexion to lunge into the right foot. Either way, I was screwed.

I am sleeping in the below pictured splint every night. I am wearing my Dansko clogs as perscribed. I've had the cortisone shots. All to no avail. My doc says surgery by February if all isn't well. Somehow, based upon what's going on, I doubt I'll be well by February.




I'm starting to be bummed out big time.

At least I have the Sox game tomorrow night.

4 comments:

Laurita said...

Chronic pain is DEPRESSING! Really...

I hope you find a work out that works for you!

Mo said...

I'm so sorry, Nants! I know the pain of the PF...and I know I've said it before but the Crocs, though hideously ugly, have SERIOUSLY been a God send for me! They even have "cross breeds" now with more professional styles of canvas and suede. I have the Mary Janes and even for my back they have done wonders. I hope you don't have to have surgery...I hope you feel MUCH better soon!!

Surfwahine said...

I know the pain of PF all too well. I too slept with the night splint for a long time and had to totally cut down on my running..now this was years ago. Watching the step classes or someone run by on the street was the worst. I swam and took spin classes also. time did make mine better and luckily I didn't have to have surgery. The worst part of it was that I had qualified the second time for the Boston Marathon, had entered and the doctor said "oh no, not this year" that is when I cried and got fitted for my orthotics. Hey I figure the older I get, the better chance I have at placing in my age group! Hope you feel better!!!

Juanita said...

Ugh! I'm sorry to hear about your foot. Hope you feel better.