Monday, October 08, 2007

Memo to Red Sox Nation



Date: 8 October, 2007
Time: 16:05:00
To: Red Sox Nation
From: Nants
Re: Gloat Free Zone

In 2003, encouraged by a promising performance by the Red Sox against the Yankees in early ALCS games, I jumped the gun and began gloating about the team's prowess and jumping to the conclusion that they would take the ALCS, and then move on to sure victory in the World Series. My most shameful gloat fest took place during a phone conversation with my friend Leslie, a Yankees fan. How can we be friends, you ask? That's a topic for another day.

We all know what happened in 2003. Leslie was quick to remind me of my premature gloating, and ascribed the demise of the Sox to it.

I promised her, myself, and anybody who would listen, that in the future, no matter how well the Sox are doing, I will not gloat.

I have not allowed myself a single word of premature gloating since.

I urge the members of Red Sox nation to join me now, in this pivotal hour, to refrain from premature gloating. Yes, the Sox swept the Angels in the ALDS, and this is wonderful, celetration-worthy news. But please, folks, limit your rejoicing to a celebration of the Sox good work and fortune. Do not let your revelry cross the line into gloating. I beg of you.

If you do gloat, please make sure that I don't hear a single word of it. I can't be party to premature gloating.

So, with that said, I will close in saying that I am celebrating the ALDS victory, and I'm looking forward with non-gloating optimism, for the upcoming ALCS.

I sign out in reminding my readers that this is a gloat free zone.




1 comment:

Mo said...

Amen!!!