Saturday, June 07, 2008

Hot Hot Hot

I am sitting in my apartment ROASTING. Actually, given the fact that it is above 90 degrees outside, my apartment is not as hot as I would have thought it would be.

I have something about air-conditioning in my apartment. Believe me, I'm the first one to duck into a cool mall or movie theatre to get a brief respite from the intense heat. However, I've never been a fan of having my own living space air conditioned. I guess I spend the entire year waiting for the summer, so when it comes, I really like to feel it. Granted, some nights are tough int the old sixth floor sweat box apartment, but I have always opted to tough it out.

So you see, it's not an energy conservation thing. I wish I were that goody goody. Hey, if I wanted to blast some AC, I figure my carbon footprint is small enough to allow me to do so without guilt. (Thank god my carbon footprint is small. My real footprint is certainly not.) I take the bus and walk most places, so I'm saving the planet in my meanderings from point A to point B on any given journey. But enough about that...all I'm saying is that I wish I could say that I was taking an environmental stand against air conditioning so that I'd seem all cool and stuff, but really, I just don't like having AC at home.

Today was a strange day. The temperature soared above 90 for most of the day. When I left the house this morning, at around 7:00 AM, it was still cool enough for me to have a thin t-shirt on. But I could feel the heat lurking beneath the cool temps. Does that make any sense?

You cannot understand how much I love the hot weather.

I almost shed tears of joy on that first morning (usually in June) where I leave the apartment for the bus at 6:30 AM and it is already HOT! I'm not talking about the kind of thing that happened today, where you can tell that it is going to eventually get hot. I'm talking about the kind of day where you walk out your door super early and you're already dying in the heat. You know you don't stand a chance against it because you know it is only going to get hotter as the day wears on.

This is MY time of year!!!!

2 comments:

Juanita said...

Lady, you'd get over those tears of joy REAL QUICK if you moved out here... You think 90 is hot?

OK, OK, so 90 is hot, even here, but we have months and months of it. And plenty of humidity to go with it. Yum.

Laurita said...

I'm with you. I love the heat. My red headed self would love heat without intense sun....but that is not to be.