Thursday, January 14, 2010

Go "Figure"




I had to go to Marathon Sports today to get a new pair of sneakers. I had to replace the ones that I lost and/or were stolen from the gym. I was sure I had left them at the gym, and when I went in to check with the lost and found folks, I was surprised to find that they were not there. The gym employee told me, "Oh yeah, you'd be surprised at how many people find and then keep sneakers. We get iPods, phones, wallets, and other valuables turned in all the time. But sneakers? They mysteriously go missing all the time."

Really? Used gym sneakers? Smelly used gym sneakers?

Go figure.

Anyway, I had to just buy my old standby, the Brooks Adrenaline GTS. I think the first time I bought these, they were in the 4th generation of them. Now they're all flashy and disco-ball encrusted. They're in the 9th generation now. They cost 104 dollars! I was thinking of sticking with the horrible, too-big Saucony shoes that I had as backup, but I was feeling the onset of the dreadful Plantar Faciitis pain that had me grounded a couple of years ago. No thanks on that one. But for reals, 104 dollars? I would NEVER spend 104 dollars on shoes that I would actually wear out and about. And yet, I willingly spend it on shoes that I only wear at the gym.

Go figure.


On a much more serious note, one that makes me almost embarrassed to prattle on about the pointless drivel that pretty much constitutes my daily life...

I have been shocked by the scope of the devastation of the earthquake in Haiti. My god. Have you been following this? It is pretty amazing that these natural disasters always seem to befall the most impoverished, and therefore already-quite-fucked places in the world. I mean, Jesus. Haiti is the poorest nation in the western hemisphere. Did they really need this on top of all that?

I hadn't even thought this through clearly this morning when I mused to myself, "God, if that happened here, we would be self-sufficient enough to bail our own residents out."

Then I thought of Katrina. What the hell happened there.

But seriously, back to the earthquake in Haiti. They already have absolutely nothing and now this?

Go figure.

1 comment:

Laurita said...

I can't watch Haiti coverage without crying. I flew there when I was a flight attendant (never stayed...too unstable even then). My assistant at work grew up as a missionary kid. Her parents are currently in Haiti. She and her whole family were there over Christmas. (She's heard from them and they're fine) It's overwhelming.

Spend the money on the gym shoes.