Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Circle of Life



Although I have a deep respect and appreciation of the animal kingdom's circle of ilfe, I really do wish that it would not play itself out nightly on my back stairway.

Yesterday, when I opened my door to leave my apartment and go to school, I saw the greusome and very macabre sight of a squirril carcass lying righ there on my stairway landing. It was disgusting. This was not just a dead squirril, ladies and gentlemen, but a skinned, and defleshed muscular structure of a squirril whose innards were lying several feet away from the body to which they once belonged.

Gross.

I was late for work and didn't have time to think about calling animal control or whatever, so I took my snow shovel and pushed the carcass off the stairs and into the many bushes and shrubs below, reasoning that some other predatory animal would eat the remains.

I then took to my kitchen, where I boiled a huge pot of water, threw in tons of soap and proceeded to hurl the sudsy concoction onto the stairway where the carcass had been.

I immediately cleansed my hands and sprayed Lysol disinfectant onto the shoes that I had worn to do the gross work of discarding the carcass.

Today, when I opened my door to leave my apartment, I was greeted by the skinned and defleshed body of a bird.

Gross.

It was on the landing of the stairway.

Again, I had to get the shovel and throw boiling water and soap onto the area.

I did alert my landlord to the problem, and he is going to call animal control.

In the meanwhile, he has sprayed cayenne pepper spray onto the stair in order to deter the animals from coming over in the first place. I have, once again, watered and soaped the stairs and have even mopped them down. Needless to say, that mop will be making its way into the trash collection this week.

And my shoes are continually being sprayed and deloused with Lysol products.

How nasty!

2 comments:

phillytoad said...

And just think... some cat out there is trying to show you its love and appreciation for you by giving you a gift. That's too much!

JoviFan said...

Maybe it was Martine!