Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Wicked Game



My friend, Gene, who works for a radio station and is constantly scoring tickets for all kinds of shows, offered Stephen and me a couple of tickets to tonight's Chris Isaak show. Other than the melodic and seductive "Wicked Game" I don't think I even know any Chris Isaak songs. But, since I really do LOVE that song, and since Gene and our other friend Meg were already on board to see the show, Stephen and I decided to get in on the act.

There ended up being an extra ticket, so my friend and colleague, Barbara, joined us, too.

I have to say that the show was EXCELLENT.

Isaak's voice is smooth, sultry and lighthearted all at once. His stage presence was electrifying and he clearly enjoyed every moment of his performance as much as the audience members did. He made several rounds of the audience, stopping to sing directly to fans, or to dance with the ladies. Toward the end of the show, he even invited about 30 women up onto the stage with him while he performed a couple of lively tunes.

The guy was actually really, really funny, too. He was possessed of that really witty, intelligent humor that makes an already handsome man seem absolutely irresistable. All the ladies in the audience felt the magnetism.

I am really glad I went to the show. I sometimes hesitate to go see bands if I'm not familiar with a wide body of their work. But, in this case, I at least know Chris Isaak and really thought it might be a fun night out. The show was at the outdoor Pavilion in Boston. The weather was mild and hey, the summer will be over before we know it. I'd be wishing I had taken advantage of a great outdoor experience like this.

I am tired, and dread having to get up early for school tomorrow, but I am very happy to have gone to the show.

Barbara pointed out that Isaak appears to be morphing into Kurt Russell as he gets older. He did bear an uncanny resemblance to Goldie Hawn's main squeeze as he crooned from the stage, but still, I just tried not to envision him playing Goldie's long lost husband in the box office smash "Overboard" and stayed focused on the singing.

I would strongly recomment checking out Isaak at a nearby venue if you have the chance. Of course, if you can get Gene to score you some free tickets, that would work even more strongly to your advantage.

Oh, the last thing I wanted to point out is that I was surprised by Isaak's bedazzled leisure suit wardrobe. As I said, I know very little about the guy, but I always picture him in that "Wicked Game" video, cozied up to some supermodel on the beach, much like a Calvin Klein perfume commercial. I always had that image and thought he would be sort of a stylish, sleek, Euro-trashy dresser. The suit, (which is the exact one as what you see pictured below) surprised me. The finale outfit was even more shocking. Black sequins. Pure shine, baby!

Unlike Rick Schroeder, Isaak has no half baked shit to shove up his ass.

If Schroeder ranks a 10 out of 10 on the half baked shit scale, I'd have to give Isaak a zero. Isaak was the real deal!


1 comment:

Canoes under my shoes said...

YEAH! He's a FOX! He has/had a show on some cable network. I've seen him interviewed a couple of times and he is the picture of charm.

Somewhere (Juanita?), I have a Chris Isaak Christmas album. I lent it out shortly after receiving it (Juanita? Susita?). He does the Don Ho Hawaiian Christmas song and everything. Good CD...wish I had it.