Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I'm Melting...I'm Melting....



Boston, like most of the nation, is in the throes of a pretty major heat wave. I know, I know, the west coast has been baking for two straight weeks now, but still....we New Englanders are just not accustomed to this kind of heat.

I LOVE the Summer. I LIVE for the heat. All winter long I bitch and moan about the cold and pine for the summer.

It pains me, therefore, to admit that even I, the biggest fan of summertime heat, was a bit uncomfortable at times yesterday.

Come to think of it, I don't think I spent more than 20 minutes in the AC yesterday.

My school doesn't have AC. The windows also don't open and there was a dead mouse in the doorway when I walked into the classrooom, but those are just little asides.

After school, I had to walk to Davis Square. Actually, I could have taken the bus, but I just started walking. From Davis, I walked to Harvard Square to take care of a few last minute errands. I waited in Harvard Square for the bus, but it just never came, so I had to walk home. I was dreading the very evil ascent up the street to my place. It was pretty dreadful. It took me about 20 minutes of just sitting in my apartment to stop sweating profusely. Granted, I continued to sweat, but less profusely than when I scaled the K2-like ascent to my apartment.

I could not let myself sit too long, however, as I had some laundry to do. And you guessed it...laundry requires a trip back to the bottom of the hill and the requisite climb back up. Oh, and of course the laundromat has no AC.

I'm usually the first one to complain about the fact that we are so cold all winter and I fail to see the logic in immediately freezing everybody out with the AC as soon as the summer rolls around, but I was so desperate for a little AC yesterday that I actually walked to Target to go in and cool off. The thing that struck me when I was walking across the parking lot to go into Target was the fact that the pavement was actually giving a little under my feet. I think there was some slight melting going on. Amazing.

Anyway, when I got into Target, I was going to buy a second memory card for my digital camera, but the AC must have kicked in just in time to release me from my heat induced insanity. Why would I spend 50 dollars on an electronic product at Target after what they put me through when I tried to return a clearly mismarked Dora the Explorer computer game. In case you missed that entry, they asked me in all seriousness if I would be willing to return my Mac and get a PC so that I could play the game that was marked MAC on the outside box and PC on the products inside.

When Stephen gave me the camera for my birthday last year, he bought the wrong memory card at Best Buy. Not only had I opened it and lost the packaging, but we were about 6 months past the 30 day return limitation. The guy at the customer service counter at Best Buy was like, "Yeah, sure. Whatever. Take whatever memory card you need." When I asked the guy if I had to come back through customer service with the new card, he said, "No, its cool. Don't worry about it."

Needless to say, I'll go to Best Buy today.

Some Target manager working the electronic section of the store came over to ask me if I need help. I made sure to tell him about my decision to buy the thing at Best Buy and then I took off.

Anyway, back to the heat thing....see, my mind is truly clouded over.

I went back to the laundromat, picked up my stuff and climbed the Everest that is my street.

I took a cool shower and then went out with some friends for a couple of beers.

I'm not sure if that was such a great idea. I'm not hung over or anything, but in weather like this and after all my walking around in the extreme heat, I should probably be drinking water exclusively.

My father offered to let me stay at his place in the AC last night, but I wasn't sure what time I'd be back from my evening with my friends, and to be honest, I dreaded having to walk back up my street this morning in the heat on my way to work! I'm so lazy.

I went to bed at 11 after watching Law and Order. I have been wide awake in the heat since 3:00. I did finally get up at 4:30.

I'm gonna go find a movie to show my classes today. There is no chance for productivity today.

6 comments:

Juanita said...

Is Kansas City on the west coast? 'Cause we've been baking for well over two weeks!

Canoes under my shoes said...

I was thinking about you and the AC. I've had a hard time readjusting to it since my return from the Carribean. I don't understand why people have to put it so damned LOW...however, there IS value in a/c. I'm glad I have it.

Mo said...

i know you are going away-but maybe when you get back you should think about getting an ac for your bedroom, or living room if you spend most of your time there. they can be pretty inexpensive...i'll take you to BJ's if you want!! it's totally worth it!! please be careful walking in this weather-i really don't want you to get heat exhaustion!!

JoviFan said...

Thanks for your concern, Reesie. I really should get my ass a car and then I wouldn't have to walk around so much in the heat. But I was much wiser today than I was yesterday. I did have to pick up a few things at the mall, but I took a bus there from literally right in front of school. When I was done, my father was kind enough to pick me up and then even take me to the pharmacy to fill a Rx.
I would have keeled over walking around out there today.
But hey, since you're offering to cart-ass me around in your sexy new car, who am I to refuse!?

Surfwahine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Surfwahine said...

Man I feel like we've been living on the East Coast the past couple of weeks. Took Blaise to the beach to chill out but there was not a breeze and it was really humid! The humidity has broken now, thank goodness! I guess because I didn't get East this summer, the East came to me!!