Monday, August 28, 2006

Growing up in Somerville...Baby Dolls, Sugar Daddies, and a Pack of Marlboros




Jules raised an interesting memory in her comment about my "Letter to Ricky Schroeder" blog entry. I was going to simply comment back to her, but then I realized that this memory is simply too good to relegate to a comment column in a past blog entry. Some of my faithful readers might never find it there and will therefore never be able to join me in reliving a priceless childhood memory.

I must have been 7 or 8 years old when this went down. That would have put Lauren at around 10, Jules at 11 or so, Reesie at 6 and Fwiz at a mere 4 years old.

I received a baby doll for Christmas. Her name was "Baby Sandra." Matthew rechristened her "Baby Dirt-ra." (He thought "sand" was too gentle, so he replaced that syllable of the baby's name with "dirt.") We all accepted this and moved on as if the name "Dirtra" were the most logical progression from "Sandra." No complaints were raised, no argument put forth. Such was the power Matthew had over us.

I should mention, to my "new blog friends" that Matthew was our uncle who passed away at the tender age of 37 just a few years ago. He was my mother's much younger brother; he was only 10 years older than Lauren. He was very much like an older brother to all of my cousins and me. And he took this role very seriously...particularly the aspect of the role of older brother that requires inflicting torture and abuse. And yet, we all loved him!

Anyway, like all little girls, we often found the need to deface our dolls. Barbie dolls got hideous haircuts. Baby dolls were inked with tattoos of snakes, knives, daggers, and other such symbols, and rag dolls were used as practice for our future as coroners.

Dirtra, however, was a favorite target for some reason. She was pretty cutting edge back in 1980. When you rubbed her back, she giggled and cooed. She had a little hole in her mouth for a baby bottle (the milk would disappear when the bottle was tipped upside down).

Matthew discovered, for some reason that I can't explain to this day, that if he inserted his lit Marlboro into Dirtra's mouth and squeezed her belly, she would become filled with smoke. When he removed the cigarette, he would squeeze the belly again, and a stream of smoke would flow out of her mouth. In fact, since her mouth was rounded, if he just squeezed her in the right way, she would emit a series of perfectly shaped smoke rings. In these instances, she was more reminiscent of Betty Grable than a plastic baby doll.

But the fun didn't stop with turning my poor innocent dolly into a chain smoking louse.

On Christmas day, as per usual, we all convened at my grandparents' place. We used to each bring one favorite Christmas toy. I brought baby Dirtra, which was a departure from the ordinary because I had not even received her for Christmas. I had already had her for some time, but I really liked her.

Anyway, Jules discovered an absolutely massive Sugar Daddy pop that somebody had given to my grandfather. Wise move on behalf of the gift giver, who undoubtedly knew of my grandfather's ill-fitting dentures. Perhpas whoever gave him this gift was just trying to get him to eat the sticky confection and literally glue his mouth shut.

Anyway....

Somehow Jules discovered that if she lifted the 8 pound sugar daddy high over hear head and then made it reign down on Dirtra's butt with blunt force, Dirtra would react with a little giggle and coo, as if she had been gently rubbed and coddled. Well, this was too tempting. We all had to have a go. Even Matthew got in on the action. And yes, he probably WAS pushing 20 at the time.

We were all literallly lined up, having put Dirtra on the stand that usually held my grandfather's plaid beanbag ashtray so as to have perfect aim at her.

Eventually, Uncle Paul walked into the room and was HORRIFIED by the spectacle he saw playing out before him. Within seconds, my mother, Auntie Julie and Auntie Mary were descending upon us in sheer anger and disgust. I think a few of us even suffered Sugar Daddy blows. We all got busted, but I'm pretty sure I had the worst beating of all. After all, the thing was my doll. I probably should have tried to defent it. Instead, I was right in the thick of the action.

All I know is that, somehow, Matthew managed to extract himself from the situation right at the critical moment before Uncle Paul witnessed any of the violence. He had a gift for knowing when to get out of the room right before the real trouble came.

Poor Baby Dirtra.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I totally forgot about the Marlboros and the doll smoking. That was so funny. Remeber the time , one St Patrick's Day, you had a Mayor McCheese doll and he had to sit at the kiddie table with us so he made the doll march through the mashhed potatos??? the trousers on the doll were sopping with butter. I ended up peeing my pants from laughing. We all got busted. Nana yelled at Matt and said "you are just determined to ruin every holiday, aren't you???" That was the year that Matt said his favorite Irish Song was "Whip It" by Devo. Had to be around 1983. Why were we obsessed with ruining our toys?

Mo said...

i do not remember this at all...but i know fwiz ended up brutalizing all of our barbie dolls and this is probably where she got it! we still have the barbie clothes my mother had as a kid under lock and key in fear she'll find them and destroy them!

and as for matthew "conveniently" disappearing before we got busted...he totally told on us!!

LizFwiz said...

I happen to remember the Shabaaz doll, the bald baby that had the redsomerville field hockey jacket on. It's probably still lost in my parents laundry room somewhere...I loved how Nants and Lorfwor made her talk like a scary old man. Matthew must have got bored with Dirtra smoking because when I was four he taught me how to smoke, I'll never forget it, God rest his soul. Sadly, I still do to this day.
Besides the smoking, I only really remember how dark that house was and how we were only allowed in the parlor. When in the parlor we always played light as a feather, stiff as a board. I don't remember destroying barbie clothes, all of them are still in perfect shape. My aunt Theresa used to rip the heads off of dolls and ruin the homemade Barbie clothes....not me.

Surfwahine said...

that is hysterical!!!!! Wish I could have seen your lovely doll. Oh yes, I remember cutting my dolls hair, that was the best.

Hey I have a new blog for "work stuff"
it is www.aloha53.blogspot.com
check it out. It is very tame as I don't want to "shake up" the chiefs!!!

Canoes under my shoes said...

C'mon, Jovi! Decribe the family therapy session that followed (which is the massive punishment OUR parents would've bestowed on us had be been caught abusing our WT baby doll).

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA I'm glad I brought up such good memories. But, Honestly, I remember calling the doll Mudra after a while because Dirtra just wasn't quite bad enough yet... it must have happened after the beatings.

I laughed so hard at the Mayor McCheese story. That was so Matthew. Matt never destroyed our Barbies, but he did make my Marie Osmond doll look pregnant and tell me that Donnie was the father.

Pam had this other toy called sleep walking sam. It was scaffolding that you have move quickly so this wind up guy wouldn't walk off the edge of it. If he did you, you lost. We really didn't like the rules. Our goal was to create the biggest fall. It started with making all the scaffolding really tall... and moved onto making him walk off tables and stuff. One day we all trecked up to the attic and set the scaffolding up so he would walk right out the third story window into the driveway. I won. Pam was too scared to go to the roof. But the funny part was, as soon as Sleep walking Sam hit the pavement, he just kept walking... and walking... and walking... all the way to the gutter in the street. - Jules

Anonymous said...

julie, I saw sleep walking sam recently in davis sq. he was in Au Bon pain