Sunday, May 13, 2007

Back from the Big Apple

Stephen and I ventured into New York City for the weekend and had a great time!!

Stephen's godparents own a gorgeous home in Brooklyn Heights (the total Cosby Show neighborhood) and they graciously invited us to come spend the weekend at their place. They could not have been any kinder or more generous to us. We arrived on Friday evening, having taken the very relaxing and punctual Amtrak Acela train from Boston Back Bay to Penn Station. From there, we managed to very uneventfully catch a train to Brooklyn, and find their place without incident. In other words, the travel part was easy and surprisingly pleasant.

On Saturday morning, we got up, had a great breakfast with Murry and Shirley, and then hit the town. We left their place at around 9:30, and set out on foot to cross the Brooklyn Bridge to head into Manhattan.



The weather was awesome and the walk across the bridge was really beautiful. We obviously ended up in lower Manhattan, and from there, we walked all over the city. We hit Canal Street (China Town) where I partook of the illicit knock-off handbag trade, purchasing a fake Kate Spade purse, and a cheap-o Coach wristlet purse. Very cute. Very cheap.

Canal Street is really fun, but incredibly overwhealming. There are swarms of humanity crowding every square inch of the place. I was only able to handle the scene briefly, before pushing on to other crowded, but decidedly less insane areas of the city.

Our meanderings took us uptown, but we sort of stopped our northward trek at around 25th street. Going further uptown would have taken us to Times Square and midtown, but that wasn't what we were really interested in doing. We really wanted to check out the Greenwich Village area, and enjoy a trendy, but less cheesy part of town. Don't get me wrong, Times Square is awesome, and we were trolling around there before getting on our return train from Penn Station this afternoon, but for yesterday's strolling, we wanted to do something that we really hadn't done before.



We also really enjoyed Washington Square and the park. Very cute. Very beautiful in the picture-perfect weather.



And finally, to keep the Bon Jovi theme going, I have to post this picture of the absolutely massive 3 storey banner of Jon Bon Jovi hanging in the Virgin Mega Store in Times Square. He's been involved with some Kenneth Cole charity thing for a while now, and this is his latest sollicitation venture.

What a great way to end the trip to NY.

3 comments:

Juanita said...

Well. I'm too jealous to comment. (Seriously, though, I'm glad you guys had fun! I miss those carefree days.) Trivia fact: Kate Spade went to high school with me, but she was a couple of classes ahead. Her sister Eve was in my class. There you go. My ever-so-tiny brush with fame.

Canoes under my shoes said...

Ah...the big apple! I like Grenwich Village, too. Times Square was cool when it was all hookers and sex shows. KIDDING. I'm not into that. Not much anyway.

Mo said...

I have a fake Kate Spade bag and wallet too!! I love the knock-offs!!!