Saturday, May 19, 2007

Huh?




I was on the train this morning, headed to the gym, when I noticed something that simply has to epitomize the word "Ironic."

I had never noticed this before because, knowing the T like the back of my hand, I have very little occasion to ever look at the map of the routes. But today, as the train (not surprisingly) stood halted for about ten minutes just three feet short of the station platform where I wanted to disembark, I found myself looking rather passively at the T map. I looked at the little legend to see what special features can be boasted at the various stations around the system. One of the little icons is the universal "handicapped" symbol, which indicates wheelchair accessibility.

Here's where the irony comes into play.

With the exception of one, every single station on every single line sported the little "handicapped" icon. Not bad, considering the fact that Boston's T is the oldest subway system in the nation. I guess they've gone out of their way to make sure that wheelchair bound people can access the full spectrum of the system.

Back to the ONE station that does not have wheelchair access. That station would just so happen to be LONGWOOD. What is so ironic about this, you ask? Well, anybody who lives in Boston probably already understands my shock and awe. For my more geographically far-flung readers, allow me to explain. Boston is a city of hospitals. The world's best hospitals are all located within a stone's throw of each other. And they are all located in a neighborhood of Boston called....you guessed it....
LONGWOOD.

Now I'll spell it out. The only station lacking wheelchair access is the very station that services the hospital district of the city.

I freakin' LOVE the T!!!

1 comment:

Canoes under my shoes said...

Well, I guess they can just wheel it from the nearest station. Those handicapped people are always complaining about something...let 'em feel grateful for the help that they finally get once they arrive at their hospital.

File under S for Sarcasm.