Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Honeymoon in Vermont



Stephen and I have decided that our honeymoon should consist of a nice, leisurly trip through New England. It will feature a variety of lodgings (everything from a brief two day stay at "the cabin" at the beginning of the trip, to a random campground here and there, to a stay at the lovely Middlebury Inn in Middlebury, Vermont.

The above picture shows the porch at the Middlebury Inn. Why go to Middlebury, you ask? Well, I attended the Ecole Francaise de Middlebury College for my MA for 4 summers between 1996 and 1999, and I just fell in love with the place. I can't wait to go back. Vermont is a really gorgeous state...IN SUMMER! I have not had much experience with the place in winter. I'm happy to keep it that way.

The first summer I went to Middlebury (which we dubbed, "Club Midd" to make ourselves feel better about sacraficing so many summers working like slaves toward our MA), my mother and I drove up together. We stayed at the Middlebury Inn and were charmed. It is situated on Midd's pictoresque town green (and essential of all quaint New England towns, right?), and the laid back Vermont mentality.

I was totally enamored by the wrap around front porch, outfitted with comfy adirondak chairs that lend themselves perfectly to an evening of people-watching.

I asked Stephen if Middlebury could be a stop on our trip, and he was more than happy to comply. I'm also excited because the Midd summer session will have just started, so I can try to visit some old pals at the college.



Here's a picture of the front of the Inn.



These lovely chairs are situated on the back lawn. Perfect for wasting away an afternoon reading, sipping a glass of wine, dozing off, or just basking in the sun.



And here's my alma mater, Middlebury College. Many of my classes were held here in "Le Chateau." Yeah, that's the kind of building you get to have classes in when the price tag of the education reads like a phone number.




Here's Midd in the fall. I was never around for this view, but I believe it to be even more spectacular than even this photo could suggest.

thirty more days to go until the wedding.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great honeymoon idea - and it should be completely stress-free!

My sister went to Middlebury and I stayed at the Inn once with my family, a long time ago.

We're looking forwrad to seeing you in a month!

Canoes under my shoes said...

30 days??? WOW!

I wanted to go to Middlebury for their French program back in the day. Instead, I just went to France! :)

Mo said...

That sounds fun and very relaxing!! I can't wait for your wedding...I got a dress finally...it's green and I think it looks like a Jackson Pollock painting...nice!! Haa! And then the week after your wedding I'm going on my own little vacation and I can't flipping wait!!!

Let's get together soon-I know you are probably swamped with wedding bliss...but let me know if you need anything:)

Juanita said...

Wow. That inn is gor-ge-ous! I have only been to New England once, but I loved it. And Vermont was the best of the best. What I remember most about Vermont was the maple sugar. Then again, I was only 11 years old.
Come to think of it, those maple sugar candy leaves were yumalicious. You'd better get yourself a couple.