Sunday, December 09, 2007

Screwed!!



OK, so I think I mentioned that I have to face my arch rival standardized test, the GRE, very shortly. I bought a review book yesterday. I thought I had my head wrapped around just how hideous this thing was going to be; I had made peace with it. But then I opened up the review book and well, let's just say that upon my first glance at the math section, I broke out in a cold sweat.

See, the problem is that I already took and bombed the GRE years ago. I was all prepared to send those horrible scores with my application, but the Educational Test Service web page reported that they are unable to generate score reports for any test taken before 2002. Since I took my GRE in like 1919, I'm screwed. So, a $140 registration fee later, I'm counting down the days to GRE hell.

I know I could take a review class, but here's what bothers me about those stupid courses....

They are often run by the ETS, the selfsame company that writes the test. Basically, all they do is teach you strategies to "beat the test." They admit full out that you don't really even have to know how to do the stuff, but rather you have to know how to navigate your way around sticky questions. Where is the merit to this exam?

To be honest with you, if I thought it might help me, I might even lay out the cash to take the course, but I did it for the SAT and after 4 tries on that thing, I only just broke a score of 1000. My best score ever was 1010. Really.





But seriously, this math. WTF? I am applying to a program for English teachers! Why they are so hell bent on making people take this silly ass math test is beyond me. Yeah, yeah, there are English sections on the test. For the most part, I'm doing pretty well on the practice tests in English. I mean, Christ, reading is an ongoing skill in our lives. We don't really lose touch with it. But honest to God, the math (like the crap shown above) is so far from being at the forefront of my daily thought process that I'm at a loss as to how to even begin to solve these things.

The worst part is that I recognize a lot of the stuff. I know I've seen a lot of it before, but I can't figure out what to do with it. The most frustrating thing is that there are times that I spend ages on a problem, and I don't mind that it took me a half hour to do single problem (on a 30 question, 30 minute session) because I'm convinced that I'm dead right. I then go to the answer key to check my work and find out, not only that I'm wrong, but that the right answer is the one that I rejected at the outset of my solving, having dismissed it as a completely impossible answer to the question at hand.

I am so screwed. And I'm not talking about the kind of crap when I was in high school and I'd say, "I know I failed that test." and then I'd get like an A-. I'm talking about completing the 30 question practice sessions, and finding that I only got 5 or 6 questions right when I correct them at the end.

The thing that made me laugh is that they explained that for the computer-based test, (which is what I'll be taking), they keep seeing how you did on questions to determine the level of difficulty of the subsequent questions. They're going to have to call some jerk in to fill up the database with some simple ass questions to make sure there is enough of a supply for me. I'm hoping they keep me at around the 4th grade level throughout the duration of the exam.

Anyway, I'm just super frustrated right now by this crap. Why, why, why do these schools insist upon this standardized test shit? Why don't they judge applicants more on the important things like professional experiences, letters of recommendation, school transcripts, interviews? Why does everything have to depend on this silly ass test? And why, in the name of God, is the "general" test so math oriented? And who the hell deems complex calculus-based math problems, "general knowledge?" I think my math general knowledge (figuring out sale prices at stores, doing quick subtractions from my checking account to avoid overdraft, etc) to be acceptable enough general knowledge.

Of course, the math people are probably all upset about the literature and vocabulary stuff. But I stick to my assertion that math people are more likely to be in constant contact with reading on a daily basis, and therefore are homing those skills on a much more regular basis than I am with my math skills.

The REAL reason that I was so excited about Bates when I first applied was that they did not require the SAT from students. They openly say that they understand that their applicants are more than a 3 hour standardized test that takes place on one Saturday morning of their lives. They also refuse to play into the ETS institution, preferring to learn about the people their applicants are, as opposed to what number they earned on a silly test in a subject they probably have no intention of studying.

They claim the GRE gives the school a chance to see your thinking and strategizing skills. Let them come watch me teach teenagers all day long, and they can see how I operate and think. I feel this is much more indicative of how I'll perform in a teacher program.

OK, enough about my anti-GRE diatribe.

Onto important sale news....

I was in EMS yesterday when I saw this jacket.....



I've been thinking about buying a down jacket, but was always deterred by the fact that they make you look like ten times more puffy than you already are. There are lots of things I need in life. Looking puffier than I am is not one of them. But anyway, this $100 down jacket was on sale for $70, and it was quite thin and looked relatively decent. I only looked 400 pounds instead of the 700 pounds I normally look in down jackets.

I didn't buy it, but started regretting it later. They had only had one in the store in my size. So, out of worry that they would run out, I decided to order one online. I logged on and VOILA, they were running a web-exclusive sale...the jacket was only $50 dollars online!!! So,I ordered it. Now, I don't care how damn puffy I look, I'm going to be in my warm-ass down jacket when I'm standing there waiting for the bus!

And I'm going to LLBean today and I think I'm going to try on these boots. Too cute, huh?




OK, gotta run. Some republican senator hater is on TV refusing to recant his statement that homosexuals are evil and should be quarantined. The remote control is on the other side of the room. I have to go get it and change the station because I CANNOT listen to this hate-spewing asshole.

Have a great one.

1 comment:

Juanita said...

OK, maybe this will make you feel better. I have two undergraduate degrees, both summa cum laude, and I was the valedictorian of my nursing school, yet I cannot help any child with math beyond the third grade level. And to be quite honest, sometimes those third grade questions really stump me. You are absolutely right. Transcripts, letters of recommendation -- just about anything but the GRE should be considered for admission into graduate school.