Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Skinny on Skinny Jeans




I'm not a big fan of the skinny jean. I guess they're OK on skinny 15 year-old girls, two demographics into which I can safely say I do not fall. My real beef with skinny jeans lies in their popularity among young (and sometimes not-so-young) men. It seems to be a budding fashion phenomenon among the sort of college age, hip, trendy, artistic/musician set. I wonder what's going on with that.

There are two things that bother me about these jeans:

1. They are SO "skinny" that I often find myself wondering just how the christ the wearer managed to get his foot in through the leg opening.

2. They seem to have cross-breeded with their seeming incompatible opposite, the baggy jean. The situation becomes awkward because these jeans are so freaking tight, and so what they lack in "bagginess" they make up for in "sagginess." The ass is so low on these things, and the excess material, which in the typical gangsta baggy jeans would just fall around the shoe and hit the floor, is just stuck there around the skin tight foot opening. I can only direct your attention to the picture at the top of the page.

This is nothing new. it has been going on for a long time. All of the trendy young things at the Apple Store this summer were wearing these things. I just didn't understand. I was hoping it would be a short-lived thing, but apparently it has some staying power. Sadly.

Anyway, I'm just saying...

1 comment:

Laurita said...

I think youngsters constantly tugging on their pants is COOL.

OK...I"m just jealous that there's no way in hell I ever can - past, present, future - fit into those things...unless I get cancer or something.