Monday, January 07, 2008

The Numbers Are In



I just got my official GRE scores in the mail.

Do you want the good news or the bad news first?

Let's go with the bad. The really bad.

On the analytical writing section, I only got 4.5 out of 6. I thought I had done better. Perhaps I allowed myself a bit of arrogance in thinking that I was a better writer than I really am. In the official results, they list not only your score, but also the percentage of test takers who did worse than you on that particular session. Only 54% of the test takers did worse than me on the analytical writing. That means that I'm only in the top 46%. Not so great, right?

For the bad news, I scored a 390 out of 800 on the math. Jesus! Only TEWLVE percent of test takers did worse than me. That CAN'T be good, right? I mean, I'm not a numbers person, but that's just sad....even for me. The real kicker is that, not being a numbers person, I wasn't sure how to read the test results. I asked a guy on my building elevator (a freakin' CPA, mind you) to help me figure out the results. He looked embarrassed, like he didn't want to reveal the truly abysmal nature of the scores. I told him to just let me have it, straight up. I also assured him that I was expecting horrific results and asked him to consider the fact that I had to ask a complete stranger to overlook my results to tell me what the hell they mean. This is when he revealed the ghastly truth, that only 12 percent of test takers did worse than me. I'm enough of a math person to realize that this means 88% did better.

But here's the good news...

I received a 650% out of 800, and that put me in a position of having scored better than 89% of test takers. That's ok, right?

Please tell me it's OK!!

A couple of other random thoughts....





I am really glad that Reesie weighed in on my Trump posts from her new home of Florida. I am just glad that she didn't mention the Florida weather. Although, if she's going to do it, this would be a good time. Boston is a very pleasant 50% right now. And as I can see, we're heading up to 60% tomorrow.



So we tried to get through the double header debate on Saturday night. I made it through the entire Republican debate, but admittedly I got rather tired somewhere through the Democrat one. Too bad, too, because that is the one that I would have preferred to see in its entirety. Instead, I retired to my boudoir to watch several installments of Sex and the City. You can thank Lauren if I end up voting for the wrong candidate and screw up the country!!!

I think the brawl between Clinton and Obama is getting pretty intense. When I went to bed last night, they were in a statistical dead heat in the NH primary. I awoke this morning to find him 10 percentage points ahead in the polls. I went to bed rather late last night, too, as I was on the floor on a heating pad with my AGAIN busted back. Yeah, I'm on the prednisone treatment again!!! Anyway, I was pretty surprised, not necessarily to find that Obama was ahead, but that they gained this new information overnight. Who the hell is calling people in the middle of the night to ask them whom they're voting for? Jesus, if I got a polling call in the middle of the night, I'd go remove my name from the voting list and take a permanent vacation from the democratic process. I value my sleep above all else!



And finally, just thought I would tell y'all that Stephen and I finally bought ourselves the external hard drive that my parents gave us the money for for Christmas. We picked out a Western Digital 500 GB "My book" hard drive. I have already backed up my music and photo libraries and I'm feeling pretty good about that!!!

2 comments:

Mo said...

You will be THRILLED to know that last week it was a blustery 20 degrees in Florida! No joke!! What really isn't a joke is the fact that farmers were losing their crops to the cold. So if you are going to be looking for strawberries, blueberries, or oranges from FL...beware!!!

I'm sorry to hear that your back is broken again!! I am babying mine as the hotel bed is not really my friend. I miss my big plush mattress from home!!!! If only I could find a realtor to get my ass in a condo...I'd be a happy girl!!!

Juanita said...

Hey, that GRE score sounds pretty good to me. I would have been in that percentage of math people below you, I guarantee it.