Saturday, May 17, 2008

Lost




Have you guys seen the show Lost? Probably. You're all probably completely up to date on the happenings. That said...DON'T TELL ME ANYTHING!

You see, I'm still watching season 2.

It all started out a little something like this... We had been renting and watching the Showtime series, "The L Word." We were about to rent out the first disc of season 3, but the guy who owns the little rinky dink video store down the street didn't have anything beyond season 2. Stephen was waiting outside in the double parked car, and I felt the pressure to just grab something quick. I was already in the "television section" (and I use the word "section" liberally as the guy only has like 12 videos in his entire collection), and alphabetically at the L's. So, having heard decent things about "Lost," I figured it was just as easy to grab season one disc 1.

We brought it home and watched it. My reception of the show at first was lukewarm at best. There was some talk of a monster early into the series. I am totally opposed to any dragon, monster, fantasy crap, so that was almost a deal breaker for me. I remember hunkering down to my computer to play Scrabble online with my friend John in China while Stephen watched the end of the episode.

However, eventually my attention was drawn back to "Lost" and I've been hooked ever sense.

Renting out the discs was costing us an arm and a leg, so we decided to join Netflix. Our first installations of "Lost" on Netflix came just two days after we joined up. Pretty impressive.

According to my colleague, Bill, it is a good idea to rent Lost on discs because the show is only on sporadically at best, and at that, they repeat episodes for ages before just moving on. So, the frustration factor is completely absent. That's the up side. The down side is that I have to do a bit of television coreography to make sure that I don't see sneak previews of upcoming current episodes when I'm watching else on the boob tube. And I have a few students who love Lost and to whom I have made the mistake of telling that I'm watching the show. Although I've told them that I'm way behind, and although I've implored them not to discuss current episodes, they still let some details slip.

But anyway, if you're looking for something cool to check out, I suggest "Lost."

2 comments:

Surfwahine said...

Hey Jovi!
when I was in Hawaii in Feb with the family, my Mom and I saw "Jack" riding his bike down the street in the neighborhood where my Mom use to live. I said" Hey Mom that looks like "Jack" from Lost. She said, "oh yes, he lives right there in that house (beautiful right on the sandy beach)... sure enough he circled back on his bike and went into the driveway. She's talked with his wife a few times on the beach and actually got an autographed picture of him from his wife so she could send it to one of our "Irish cousins" who is a Huge LOST fan.

JoviFan said...

great story!