Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Off Target




I was able to give blood today. My iron level, as predicted, was pretty low, but I was still able to give. The initial "finger prick" test, (which I SWEAR is the worst part of the entire ordeal), showed that I was too low on iron. But the nurse asked a colleague to come over and retest me. They didn't simply re-test the blood they'd already drawn, but rather pricked another finger. Christ! This time, the iron count just managed to eek to where it needed to be.

Anyway, I was like a speed donator. It only took seven minutes for me to fill up my pint bag. (I've been known to knock back a pint of beer in under seven minutes, so I guess there's some poetic meaning in that.)

Upon initially retiring to the "snack center" for my juice and cookies, I felt completely fine. However, as I continued to sit around, waiting for my friend to finish up, a lightheadedness started to creep over me. I made the mistake of mentioning this to the woman manning the snack center. She was all ready to call over the doctor. I assured her I would be fine, but she still insisted on calling the doctor over. The doctor wanted me to lie down in some cot. Mercifully there was already somebody else there who hadn't reacted so well to the donation. So, the doctor let me sit where I was.

It was my first time in this particular school building, and I was eager to walk around and check the place out. However, as I gazed up on the stairs, they almost started to swim in my vision, so I decided it best to leave that for another day.

I guess I wasn't too effed up, because I managed to go to Target after leaving the blood drive. Although, truth be told, I didn't go into the Mecca of shopping with my usual gusto. If anything I was rather lethargic as I made my way aimlessly around the place. Me not being psyched in Target? That's when you know something is wrong. I usually love that dump!!

So, I am home now. Not after waiting an entire hour for the bus that would eventually take me here. Man!

I skipped the gym. I guess I'm not meant to exercise after giving blood. All the better, because I'm just not up for it.

Crazily enough, I could really use a beer. I don't think I'm supposed to do that, either, but I might just have to ignore doctor's orders.



I

1 comment:

Laurita said...

That's the great thing about giving blood. You can drink one beer and it feels like three! IN FACT, going drinking was the standard post blood giving activity in college! Help people, get drunk, save money!