Monday, February 06, 2006

The Little Things




I decided to be an assistant in adult ESL classes in my school district. I could have been a lead teacher, but that would require a lot of prep time and lesson planning, so I decided that being an assistant was the way to go. Sure, if I were a lead teacher, I would be paid, and as an assistant, I am not paid. However, as an assistant, I can receive in-school credits, and these can ultimately lead to my getting into a higher pay lane in my job.

So, once I figured out that being an assistand meant no lesson planning and extra credits, I decided to go for it.

I received an email yesterday, telling me that my class would meet tonight from 5:00-7:00. The class meets in the school that is located literally across the street from mine, so I can't beat the convenience. I was a little bummed out at the thought of such a long day, but if you read my recent work related blog, you'll understand that I more than have my work cut out for me. So, I decided to hang out in school until 5 and then head ove to the ESL class.

The classes are being offered for free to parents of our students. These are folks who would probably love to come to parent teacher conferences, but who can't because they are not able to speak English. I give them a lot of credit for wanting to learn English and for taking the time to come to evening classes.

I reported for duty at 5 as scheduled. I had envisioned "assisting" as being the idiot to run up to the photocopy machine or handle the coffee runs, but this was not what my lead teacher had in mind. She asked me, as soon as I entered the room, if I would be willing to split the group in half and take a small group of my own for instruction. Being a language person (BA and MA in French, and a German speaker), I know that small-group instruction works best. So, although I was not ready to take a small branch of students at that particular second, I went along with it.

I had five women in my group, four Brazilians and one Salvadorian. These women were lovely. I really enjoyed meeting them and felt really privileged to be involved with their lives. I know it sounds corny, but there you have it. At first, they were really timid and quiet. There was one woman, Helia from Brazil, who obviously felt very proud of herself for being somewhat more advanced than the complete and total beginners in our small group. I saw a lot of myself in her because I used to feel really good about myself for being slightly more advanced than my colleagues in my German classes when I lived in Germany. I always really enjoyed that feeling of being just that far ahead and being able to understand the teacher and help my classmates.

I know, I know...class nerd!

Katja from Brazil was extremely shy and timid and didn't want to say anything at first. Then Helia told me that Katja lived in the apartment above her and I somehow managed to convey a teasing to her about having loud parties all night and keeping Helia awake. Once Katja realized what I was talking about, she loosened up and started to have fun. Brazilian women are, in general, extremely personable with a great sense of humor. I just had to find a way to get Katja laughing. Then she was eating out of the palm of my hand.

Selma, also from Brazil, was adorable. She was so focused and precise. You could tell she was probably an excellent student in Brazil.

Poor Selina from El Salvador was completely lost. I think she might even be illiterate in Spanish because even though we have the same alphabet as the Spanish language, she was completely unable to sound out even the simplest of words. This would not be surprising; El Salvador is a really poor country where lots of people lack even elementary education. I felt badly for Selina because the other women were trying to help her along and didn't seem to be able to figure out why she was having such a hard time. Selina's 7 year-old daughter was there in the class, and she was helping her mom figure stuff out. It was very cute and sweet and sad and nice at the same time.

I really enjoyed working with these woman and look forward to seeing them again next week. Helia begged me to come for the Wednesday lessons. "We like you very much," she said. I would like, in theory, to go and be with them again on Wednesdays, but I think I will only do Mondays. I have to be able to have some time to myself and get to the gym in the evenings, etc.

It was just a really nice experience to work with people who actually want to learn and who appreciate what I am doing with them.

I also really appreciate what they are doing to be there. There was a little worksheet about morning and evening routines. I asked Selma if she takes a shower in the morning. I, of course, expected the answer to be "yes I do." But, of course, she painstakingly told me that she works very early mornings in Dunkin Donuts and is home at a strange time and she has to take a shower in the evening. When she told me she worked at DD's, a couple of the other women told me that they worked in McDonalds or Burger King and as maids and cleaning ladies.

I really respect these women, the sacrifices they've made to be here, and the shitty jobs they are happy to get up and perform day after day in order to have a better life for themselves and their kids.

They rule!!

3 comments:

Mo said...

Good for you!! That is an awesome thing-and I'm sure you're very personable, helpful, and encouraging to these women. Kudos!! Jovi himself should come reward you with a nice private concert as a reward!!

Juanita said...

What a great experience. Thanks for sharing. Great description of your students and I agree, it is amazing what people endure for the privilege of living in the United States. I wish my overprivileged teenager could be your assistant, so she might have tiny clue about how lucky she is!

Canoes under my shoes said...

I hear you! I've had parents who were engineers in central America and who come here only to land janitorial jobs. I asked one family who lived in a shitty little apartment why they would move from there to here when it would appear that their education is so much better fitted to life in their native country. The mom started to cry. She told me that as a citizen of the USA, I couldn't comprehend what it meant to have NO opportunity whatsoever. So yes, they have a great education, but NO jobs available. None EVER available. They'd be willing to risk being deported at any moment, but at least they can WORK.

I felt like a shit for asking after that!!!