Wednesday, December 14, 2005

iDiot Recovers (not-really-lost) iPod





Just call me an iFool. I went to the gym last night with the intention of taking a step aerobics class. I forgot to take into account the fact that, with these frigid temperatures, and all the necessary extra layers of clothing to shed and store away in the locker, it takes quite a bit longer to get ready for the class. By the time I was ready to hit the fitness floor, the step class had already begun. I missed the warmup, which is always essential for me, so I decided to just do an hour on the treadmill. The treadmill is dreadful for me because it is so painfully boring. However, I had my adorable little iPod with me, so I figured it would be more tolerable. I was bummed out to discover that only the right ear in my headphones seemed to be working. I guess we don't really think of it, but music is always recorded in such a way that if you can't hear out of both sides, the songs are awkward at best, and totally jacked up at worst. I can't listen to half a Jovi tune, or half a Prince jam. What's up with that? Healthworks has finally caught up with the times, however, and obtained treadmills that have private TV screens mounted on them. Christ, for the money they charge in monthly dues, they should be able to bring Oprah right into the gym to record her show right in front of me. Anyway, I figured I could listen to Oprah and Dr. Phil out of one ear bud. I am probably in better shape in I can only hear half of what those two say anyway. I walked through the hour and learned some interesting things about swinging couples (Oprah) and Moms who overindulge their kids (Dr. Phil.) Since I'm both a swinger and an overindulgant mother, I found both of these shows to be quite informative.

Anyway, because I was not actually listening to my iPod, I had it stored in one of the storage spaces in the treadmill. (These things are getting quite high tech!) I kept looking over at it thinking, "Do not forget your iPod!" And I did not. The first order of business upon completing my workout was to take my iPod out of the tray. I also removed my sneakers because my toes were all jammed up in the front after pounding away on the treadmill for an hour. I slipped the iPod into my sneakers and went over to weigh myself on the scale before heading downstairs, all the while thinking, "Get that damn iPod out of the sneakers and into your bag!"

You guess what happened next. About an hour after leaving the gym, I was at the bus stop waiting for the bus to go to my boyfriend's place. All of a sudden, I had a panic attack. Where the hell was my iPod? I took it out of my sneaker, right? Wrong. A total and thorough search of my overstuffed backpack turned up nothing but dirty gym socks. Shit! I thought I remembered taking it out of the sneaker. I resigned myself to the fact that the poor little gadget was undoubtedly in somebody else's pocket, and that some other chick was bopping down the street to one of the many programmed Jovi tracks. Lucky bitch! She was certainly taking full advantage of my impeccable taste in music!

Anyway, I spend the rest of the evening sort of bummed out about the thing. I couldn't very well go back and look for it, or I'd be there for another hour waiting for a bus. In this freezing cold weather, that wasn't an option!

I decided today, in a last ditch effort, to see if my iPod was in my sneaker. I went into the gym, took a deep breath, turned the combo on my locker, pulled out my sneakers and, at first glance, thought they were empty. I shook one of them to be sure. Nothing. I shook the second one and felt something moving around in there! My iPod. Why the difficulty in finding an iPod in a sneaker? The inside of my Brooks Adrenaline GTS shoes are the same exact turquoise color as my iPod, and I don't have small feet, so the thing managed to get lost in there.

But everybody can breath a little easier now. My iPod is safely recovered and I am loading more Jovi songs into it now as we speak...in celebration!

iLove my iPod.

2 comments:

Juanita said...

WHEW! I'm doubly relieved. I, too, wondered if you were offended by my comment. You bear no resemblance whatsoever to an egg, btw, you are "cute as a button" (that's one of our sappy midwest expressions which actually has no meaning...is a button cute? I guess it must be.) But I am even more relieved that you found your iPod!!! I can only imagine the panic and disappointment you felt when you thought it was lost. I, for one, am quite attached to mine, and would be completely despondent if it were lost. I wonder how I ever lived without it. Now if I could just get the damn thing to sync with iTunes.

JoviFan said...

Your iPod doesn't work with iTunes? Jeez...are you using an Apple computer??