Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Remember to Wash Those Fruits and Veggies!



I was in the supermarket today because I was craving grapes and mango in the worst way. I always looooooove mango, and every once in a while I have a massive grape craving. Anyway, I didn't feel like messing around in the store, so I made straight for the produce section.

When I arrived at the fruit stands, I became aware of this horrendous, rattling, wheezing cough coming from nearby. I was able to follow the horrific sound over to the oranges and I saw an elderly Asian woman standing there, basically hacking up a lung as she selected her citrus fruits. Actually, it could only be chalked up to a small miracle that the woman was able to keep her lung in her chest cavity at all.

The thing is this, kids...

She didn't simply cough for a second or two and then regain her composure. Oh noooooooooooo.........

The wheezing, rattling, hacking and convulsions continued for several moments. I tried at first to ignore it. She wasn't even standing anywhere near me. I had no intention of buying any oranges. I saw no traces of mangos or grapes in her cart, which suggested that she hadn't been fondling the very fruits I had come to purchase.

But in the end, I just could NOT do it. I know, I know. This is why we wash fruits and veggies. I would never even think of eating a fruit or veggie I had not thoroughly washed. I'm sure that many of the fruits and veggies I have brough into my home have withstood similar coughs or worse. But I had never had to actually witness the devastation. I ended up not being able to bring myself to buy my grapes and mangos. I left the store after a FRUITLESS trip to the produce department.

I don't know, though. I'm still kind of skeeved out!

5 comments:

LizFwiz said...

That is soooo sick. People are just down right gross. Don't you peel mango's though? I'm sure it would have been safe. If she had rubbed the fruit under her armpits, peel or no peel, I would have passed. Have you ever had passion fruit? It is soooo yummy. I bought it once, and have never seen it in the store again. Star fruit is good too.

JoviFan said...

Of course I peel my mangos, but you know how you can just get totally turned off by something so gross? I just lost the fruit craving altogether following that episode.

Canoes under my shoes said...

SARS!

Mo said...

i just gagged a little...and then cried laughing at lauritajuanitasanchez's comment!!

i think the guy who hocks conrad baine baby tee's in the ville is going to start a fruit stand...i'm sure his merchandise will be stupendous!!

Surfwahine said...

Yuck ... I'm with you!... peel or no peel I would have gone home too! watch out for those nose pickers ...eeeeeewh !