Monday, April 09, 2007

Busted Back...AGAIN



I'm out of work today with a busted back. Yesterday, I was foolish enough to sleep in (until 9) and then lounge around for many hours watching the boob tube. There were some stuipd movies on and stuff, and it was waaaaay too cold to go outside (real temp of 32 degrees, with a wind childd of 24 degrees...when I walked out to get a coffee, it was so cold and windy that there were tears in my eyes and my hands became instantly chapped.)

It never bodes well for my back to spend too much time sedentary. Its like my back muscles cash in upon any opportunity to get tight and rigid.

At around 2:00, we went to CVS, and in the car, I could feel my back becoming tighter and tighter. I was glad of the opportunity to walk around a little bit, to try to loosen things up. Lo and behold, when we arrived back at the apartment, I stepped out of the car and felt my whole back twinge out. I was supposed to go to Auntie Julie's for a post-dinner drink for Easter, but instead ended up on the floor, alternately icing and heating my back.

I decided to call in sick last night at around 8:00 when things did not seem to be improving.

The thing that really frustrates the hell out of me is that I walk every day, exercise all the time, and do a really seriously aggressive weight-lifting regime specifically designed for my back by my very capable physical therapists and doctors every other day religiously. I am honest-to-god doing 120 pound back extension/presses at this point, (2 sets of 15 reps, three times a week) and 50 pound dead lifts (same frequency) to try to strengthen this freakin back. I'm doing everything they tell me to do. For the most part, my back feels really good these days. But, then, reality sets in as I throw my back out reachign for a freakin' pack of Peeps at CVS.

The really fun part is that because I'm provided with NO BOOKS at school to teach, I can't simply send in lesson plans telling the kids to read a section and do a few questions. Oh, hells no. I have to prepare this big lesson plan and email it to a colleague who has to print it out and try to track down one of the kids to photocopy and staple for me.

Yet another argument in favor of actually having books in school!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Peeps are evil bastards! I hope you feel better. We missed you on Sunday.

Jules