Monday, April 30, 2007

Stupid Things I Bought This Weekend.



Coca Cola has released "Diet Coke Plus" which is supposedly vitamin infused Diet Coke. When I saw it, I thought it was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen in my life, but of course I walked straight to the register with a bottle. I was hoping it would have a different taste, and maybe even something similar to the Diet Coke with Splenda, which I loved as it reminded me of European Diet Coke, but which the almighty American Consumer must have greeted coolly because it vanished from the shelves literally within weeks of its release.

Anyway, the taste is identical to Diet Coke. When I examined the lable closely, I realized that there are indeed vitamins. Of course, it provides something like 2% of the daily recommended dose of niacin and 1.7% of the daily zinc or something.

If some orange juice company claimed to be vitamin infused and then offered such a paltry serving of vitamins, I'd be somewhat taken aback. However, look at Diet Coke. Not a single ingredient beyond the word "water" contains any fewer than 17 letters, each ending in the very un-found-in-nature letter combo of "othol."

I was never expecting Diet Coke to provide any health benefits, so I don't really mind. I'm sure I'll drink it again.




The other stupid purchase that comes to mind is the "Neutrogena Lip Booster" I picked up Friday before hitting the gym. I always end up killing time in the Porter Square CVS before my 4:30 class starts. This past Friday, my meanderings took me to the makeup section. Lauren has spoken highly of Neutrogena cosmetics on more than one occasion, and seeing as where she has lovely skin and always seems to have good quality makeup on, I decided to check out the Neutrogena. CVS was running some "buy one, get one half off" sale on Neutrogena. I picked up a mascara, but was at a bit of a loss as to what else to get. I ended up picking out the aforementioned Lip Booster. It allegedly creates full, lush lips and provides a coat of moisture under whatever lipstick or gloss you want to put over it.

The ironic thing is that my lips are completely chapped now. I mean, the kind of chapped where you look like you've been wandering through the Sahara Desert for three weeks without so much as a drop of water to drink. Smiling is incredibly painful, and today, when I was stupid enough to eat a vinegar-based salad dressing, I almost shot through the roof from the pain of the initial contact of the stuff with my broken lips.

What the hell is up with that?

2 comments:

Canoes under my shoes said...

Well...I don't think I'll be buying that Neutrogena lip boost.

Zinc is supposed to make you horny...that's why oysters are an aphrodesiac. So I suppose if you drink 36 vitamin infused Diet Cokes, you'll be jumping on that fiancee of yours in public.

Anonymous said...

As far as mascara, nobody beats Maybeline in the pink tube, hands down. I don't care how expensive or who makes it, maybeline in the pink tube is a little secret held by the best make up artists.
Funny thing about the Diet Coke with Splenda, thats all they sell at Mickey Mouse Memorial. I can get you as much as you want . Thanks for the props on my so called good skin. As I type, I shit you not, you could read my face in Braille right now.