Monday, April 03, 2006

Bite the Bullet

I have begun to very seriously contemplate buying a car. This is a very big move for me. I have never owned a car before. I think it is about time for me to take the plunge.



Say hello to the newest member of the Toyota family, the Yaris. I have seen these cars many times in Europe. In fact, the Yaris has been Toyota's top seller in Europe for a number of years now. It is adorable and tiny. The Magazine "Car and Driver" has said, in a recent review, that the Yaris pictured here looks like a character from "Finding Nemo."

The Yaris shown here is a liftback model. They do make a 4 door sedan, as well, but I'm not interested. It is probably a great little car, but it looks like a little mini Carolla. I think Carollas are kind of boring. Yes, yes, I know, they are the epitome of reliability, but still...

Carollas just aren't that CUTE. And what's the point of getting a car if it isn't cute?

Stephen and I did go to look at the Yaris, but unfortunately, the liftback model is not yet available. The sedan just literally hit the market last week. The one they had on the sales floor was literally driven away by a buyer when we were there looking.

I had resolved to turn and walk out the door if the liftback was not available, but a very nice, very non-cheesy salesman showed me this little number....



This car is the Scion Xa. Scion is the subdivision of Toyota that has been around for a couple of years. You may have seen the real box car around. That is probably the most recognizable of the Scion trilogy.

Let me know what you think!

7 comments:

Juanita said...

I think it passes the cute test for sure. It reminds me of a mini-Cooper in the shape of it. My opinion is fairly worthless since I don't really care much about cars. If it runs, I like it. (Maybe I can't get excited about cars because I'm doomed to mini-van ownership for quite a few more years, I don't know.) In any case, I've always heard good things about Toyotas and their reliability. I assume Scion is in the same category of reliability. I hope so! Would yours be red? I like red.

Canoes under my shoes said...

Are you buying new? It's a cute car. I'd go ahead and buy a four door...it's just that you're dating now, but during the life of that car, you could get married and have children. I'm not pushing the marriage/children issue. Planning ahead is good, though. Worst case scenario, you buy a four door and are stuck driving your friends around.

Surfwahine said...

the car looks cool, very sporty! I would go for the 4doors ... it's always easier to get "stuff" in and out !! Keep us posted!

JoviFan said...

Well, ladies, both cars are hatchback, which makes the transport of "stuff" easier. As for my friends, if they're not agile enough to get their asses in and out of a coup, screw 'em! Just joking.
Pictures of the fabulous Honda Fit will be coming soon, too. They will hit the US market this month. Can't wait!!

Anonymous said...

Make sure you're comfortable in it. When I was looking for a car, I had a little trouble with the smaller ones because I'm on the tall side. The seats didn't go back far enough for me to drive comforably. Just take it on a test drive to make sure, cause I know you're tall too. - Jules

Bike said...

How about the Smart Car?

http://www.smart.com

I saw a lot of them in Europe as well and my cousin in Strasburg has owned one since the late 90's.

JoviFan said...

Bike, I agree. The Smart is wonderful. They are thinking of brining the "for four" here, but the "for two" isn't going to work out. Sadly enough. That car is adorable. Plus, it is made by my favorite company of all time..SWATCH! How could I, in good conscience, NOT buy a car manufactured by Mercedes and SWATCH!! If you have not had the pleasure of seeing a Smartcar, refer to Bike's webpage suggestion. They look like a damn Swatch on wheels! Totally awesome.