Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Back to Reality



Even though the school vacation was short this year, a miserable week long to be exact, I still got lulled into the rest and relaxation mode. It was pure torture when the alarm clock went off today at 6:00 AM. I lounged there for a while, incredulous. Could the vacation really be over? Was I really expected back at school? Was there really absolutely no snow on the ground after the weathercasters has predicted 4-8 inches, thus leaving me to think there might be a snow day? Did I really have to get my ass out of my warm bed?



After hefting my carcass out of bed, I had to confront another brutal truth. I had not even thought about what I was going to wear to school. I had been in jeans and sweaters and clogs for a week. Add to that the fact that, because of my broken neck, I had been unable to lift the massive weight of my laundry bag to get to the laundry mat. The decision came down to either ironing my black pants, which were mercifully clean, or wearing my bathrobe to school. I wish I could have opted for the bathrobe, but alas, I decided it was in my best professional interest to go with the black pants.




I managed to get myself out of the house somehow. I figured it would be very unwise of me to take on my first day back without getting some serious caffeine into my system. So, to that end, I stopped by Dunks to get myself an iced coffee. That was a very smart decision. I went to school and had to throw the kids who normally vist me in the morning out of the room just so I could get myself sorted out. I felt badly, because the kids just wanted to chat and tell me about their vacations, but I just had to get myself organized. I swear, there is no down-time on this job!




It was a fairly mellow day. for the most part, the kids were asleep at their desks. I suspect they'll be more awake tomorrow. I hope so, at least. Man, the first day back always sucks!!!

4 comments:

Mo said...

is your neck still busted? mine is too...dr. mary has dianosed it as a "cold in my neck." She ground up some sudafed and burned it in a spoon and then injected it...kidding...i might try it though. i'm stopping on the way home for new pillows-maybe that is my problem...either that or someone is punching me in the neck whilst i sleep...frigging cat!!

Juanita said...

Jen the RN says, "Motrin cures all!" OK, Motrin and a heating pad. And keep the Motrin coming, 2 tabs every 4 hours.

Anonymous said...

I returned to school yesterday as well. It was very sad, a former teacher killed herself on Monday. The woman was on leave, so I never met her, but they told all the kids anyhow. None of them got it. They should have left it alone, it wasn't like she was there before break.

Canoes under my shoes said...

I feel your pain. Luckily, we went back to a teacher work day followed by a "professional development" day. Tomorrow, the kids return and I'm actually going to have to work. That's gonna suck.