Monday, January 09, 2006

A Decision Not Faced By Many




On Saturday night, Stephen, Gene and I decided to go see a movie. I had decided that I would like to see Munich, the most recent of Spielberg's quintessential social/historical dramas. (Does Spielberg have the market cornered on this kind of film, or what?) I rarely go to movies, but in an attempt to further procrastinate and delay my inevitable trip to the 3rd world laundromat, I was watching TV and found myself very interseted in the commercial for the film Munich.

I called Stephen, and he said this sounded like a fine idea and was in agreement that Munich was the film to see. While we were talking, however, he told me about a newly released film called, "Hostel." While I was chatting with him, I went to the Apple movie trailer website (Shout out to Apple for yet another fabulous offering!!!!!) and checked out the advertisement for "Hostel." I had never even heard of it, but when Stephen told me Tarantino had something to do with the film, I figured it had to be worth checking out. Of course I figured it would be strange, so I was not surprised when the trailer was touting it as the most horrifying movie of all times, and claiming that in its debut screening, over 20 people had to be rushed from the theatres on stretchers and shit.

I chucked at these wild claims, but held firm in my resolve to see Munich.

I called Gene to invited him along to the movie with us. He had no other plans, so he agreed to join us. As we sat having dinner and a beer at Roggie's in Cleveland Circle, we entered into one of those round-about discussions about which of the two movies, "Munich" or "Hostel" we should see. We kept changing our minds every 5 seconds.

When we got to the movie theatre, Gene positioned himself to be first in line. I told him, "Go for it. Whatever tickets you order is what we'll go see." Without hesitation, he ordered tickets to "Hostel." I should have known.

The funny thing is that these were the two movies that we were torn between. How different can these movies actually be from one another? "Munich" is this intellectual Spielberg film about the deep heated hostility between Israelis and Palestinians while "Hostel" is just this disgusting bloodbath. The folks who walked into the "Munich" theatre the typical Brookline NPR listeners. They had the wirey gray hair, the wool-sock and birkenstock shod feet and London Fog overcoats. The people filing into the "Hostel" theatre were 19 year-old male BC students who had already begun their evening of beer swilling and partying. This was a mere pit-stop in their soiree.

I had to point out that we were probably the only three people in the entire United States actually torn between these two particular movies. I mean, sure, I can see the NPR couples grappling between "The Constant Gardner" and "Munich", or the BC kids debating between "Hostel" and "Saw II" or something. But "Munich" and "Hostel?"

Anyway, Hostel did not disappoint in its promise to be gory to the extreme. The opening scene basically consists of a man walking through a dungeon with a massive, industrial strength hose. He is rinsing out all the blood and gore of a night's worth of murder and torture. Flowing through his stream of water are blood, guts, and teeth. Yuck!

I thought the movie would be disgusting from beginning to end, but I have to admit that there was actully a pretty well developed plot that I quite enjoyed.

In brief, the film deals with 2 college guys who spend a summer traveling through Europe. They are lured into a Hostel in Bratislava, Slovakai (I'm sure the Slovakian tourist board will be thrilled!), where people are bought and sold for the purpose of "torture for kicks." People engage in a "sport" called "elite hunting" where they pay a middle man for the privilege of torturing these poor, hapless, unsuspecting fools!

I kid you not when I tell you that I spent all of the gory parts of the film with my scarf wrapped wholly around my eyes. Between bouts of hysterical laughter, Stephen and Gene filled me in on what was going on in the movie. I could not look!

Anyway, I enjoyed the story of the movie, but was a little freaked out when I heard that it was based on true events. I don't know whether to believe that, but I'll be double checking the locks on my door from now on.

Ha ha.

Oh well, maybe next week I'll join the NPR people at a screening on Munich!

4 comments:

Juanita said...

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! I will never see Hotel. Munich, maybe. Hostel...no way! Nice review, though. Now I know for sure I have no interest whatsoever.

JoviFan said...

Yeah, it was pretty gory, so naturally my friends are already making plans to rent it when it comes out on DVD. Maybe I'll actually WATCH it with them this time around. I just turned into a complete wimp in the theatre. Thank god for my winter scarf...it was an excellent eye shield!!

Mo said...

Yeah, I'm all set with that...I saw the commercial and turned my head away. I'm a fan of Tarrantino...but not that much of a fan. Christ, I still can't watch fake horror movies like Halloween or Nightmare on Elmstreet without crying...nevermind something based on a true story!!

JoviFan said...

Keep your blouse on, Reesie! Nobody's forcing you to go see the flick! Just pour yourself another Margerita and settle down. I can imagine the person who pays to torture you some day. They'll put you in a room with a DVD full of Gilmore Girls episodes, but they'll have you bolted in the chair so you can't reach the remote to turn the show on......and they'll keep a nice cold Margie there, just out of reach! Now THAT'S perverse!!